The Start of the Pumpkin Project

The pumpkin. There is something pretty cool in that little orange package. Carve it. Eat it. Kayak across a lake in it. There are so many kids of pumpkins. Gigantic pumpkins. Pumpkins with warts. Ghostly white pumpkins. Small paintable pumpkins.

Ummm, really fabulous pumpkin regatta












And there are so many questions about pumpkins. How do you grow pumpkins? What are the different kinds of pumpkins you can grow? Does it matter how far apart you plant your seeds? Do certain types of pumpkins grow better than others? Why? What are pumpkins used for.

This project is an opportunity for you to find out how pumpkins grow and how you can decide what might be the best kind of pumpkins for the mountains. Specifically, what is the best small pumpkin to grow in the mountains.

Dr. Greg Hoyt and myself, Liz Driscoll both work for NC State in the Horticultural Science and the Soil Science Departments. We love pumpkins. I (Liz) am simply pumped about pumpkins. We want you to watch with us as they grow and share your ideas and comments along the way. We hope that some of you that are reading this will come out to the pumpkin field and evaluate and harvest the pumpkins!

This is who we are:
Dr. Greg Hoyt - professor at NC State in Soil and Horticultural Science, based at the Mountain Horticultural Crop Research and Extension Center in Mills River, NC.








This is me, Liz Driscoll. I am Dr. Greg's sidekick. I promised I would rustle up interested youth and introduce them to the world of pumpkins. I work on NC State's main campus in Raleigh as an extension associate.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried growing connecticut field pumpkins in the rainforest region in Peru. I used seeds that were extracted from a pumpkin. I sowed the seeds in an open area with full sun. This area had good soil and rain. They started to grow for about three months and they only produced male flowers. Finally all the vines started to die for no reason. They didn't produce any female flowers. I would like to know why did all the plants died.

    ReplyDelete